[cfe-dev] Getting the location or scope of variable from a DeclRefExpr

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Sat Aug 7 00:05:01 PDT 2010

Hi Ahmed,

I'm not 100% certain what you are trying to do.  By "defined", are you talking about finding the locations where a variable 'x' is one of the following?

  Declared with initialization, e.g.:  int x = ...

  Assigned, e.g.: x = ...

  Increments/Decrements, e.g.:  ++x

  Address-taken, e.g.: &x

The last case, while not a definition of 'x', might be considered a "value-kill" by a conservative analysis that doesn't want to reason about aliases.

If you are looking for these, probably the easiest solution is to just do a recursive walk of the AST, and look for these expressions where the DeclRefExpr refers to the VarDecl 'x'.  Once you find the expressions that define the variable, you can just query their SourceLocations.

Is this what you are looking for?

Ted