[cfe-dev] Extra #defines for Windows SDK 6.0a/VS2008

John McCall rjmccall at apple.com
Fri Aug 6 10:33:37 PDT 2010

On Aug 6, 2010, at 10:17 AM, Francois Pichet wrote:
> Based on my investigation so far there are probably dozen of small
> patches needed to support all MS extensions but the major problem is
> dealing with template. The Microsoft compiler seems to postpone all
> template type checking and name resolution to instantiation time.
> CLang is far more strict. For proper MS compatibility related to
> template, CLang will probably need something similar to GCC's
> -fpermissive mode.

Is this actually required in order to parse system headers?  GCC also has
a broken template system that we're intentionally not 100% compatible with.
I would be extremely reluctant to introduce a permissive template-parsing mode,
given that (1) lazy projects will inevitably just turn it on forever and (2) it will
inevitably devolve into "emulate the broken template behavior of N versions
of K compilers".

Our policy with GCC has been to force projects to fix their code, introducing
just enough workarounds to get through the system headers.

John.