[cfe-dev] Living on Clang

David Chisnall csdavec at swan.ac.uk
Thu Apr 15 08:04:57 PDT 2010

On 14 Apr 2010, at 21:51, Douglas Gregor wrote:

> Helping is easy: just build Clang on your platform and start using it as your main compiler for LLVM and Clang development

I never bother installing clang - I just add the build location to my path, which saves some time and disk space.  Unfortunately, this makes it impossible to build clang with clang, because it's replacing the libraries and executable while building.

Would it be possible for the LLVM / Clang makefiles to build these files with a temporary name and then move them over the originals when the build process is finished?  This would make it much easier to live on clang.

I also had problems last time I tried building LLVM with clang - apparently the makefiles were not respecting the CXX environment variable, so you need a complete reconfigure, which is incredibly irritating.  With other projects I test with GCC and clang just by doing:

$ gmake CC=clang
$ gmake clean
$ gmake CC=gcc

David