[cfe-dev] Living on Clang
dgregor at apple.com
Wed Apr 14 13:51:51 PDT 2010
Hello fellow LLVMers and Clangstas,
We want to make Clang great, and we need your help!
Helping is easy: just build Clang on your platform and start using it as your main compiler for LLVM and Clang development. Much of the Clang team has been living on Clang for at least several weeks already, and we've found it to be quite stable for development. If you run into problems---poor diagnostics, poor debugging experience, compiler crashes, rejecting valid code, whatever---please file Bugzillas so we can get them fixed.
Steps to living on Clang:
- Make sure you're getting a good revision of Clang/LLVM from Subversion by checking the Buildbots (http://google1.osuosl.org:8011/console). The clang-*-selfhost builds have passed self-host + testing and are good candidates.
- Build Clang as part of LLVM (http://clang.llvm.org/get_started.html). I suggest a Release build, since Debug builds tend to be very slow.
- Install Clang + LLVM somewhere that isn't where you do your normal LLVM/Clang development.
- Configure with the environment variables CC=/path/to/clang CXX=/path/to/clang++, which works with either autoconf configure or CMake cmake/ccmake.
- Build LLVM and Clang as normal.
- Report your experiences to help us improve Clang!
More information about the cfe-dev