[cfe-dev] Info diagnostic level

Sean Hunt rideau3 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 11:08:34 PST 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Douglas Gregor <dgregor at apple.com> wrote:
>   - How do all of the existing diagnostic clients format infos/remarks?
>   - Are infos/remarks counted in the diagnostic count?
>   - How do infos/remarks behave w.r.t. -Werror?
>
>        - Doug

I think that remarks (I prefer the name) should not trigger -Werror;
most remarks should, in my opinion be things that indicate nothing is
wrong, and might in fact be helpful. A good example might be
suggestions for changes that would increase the optimizer's potential
(such as marking a variable as restrict). I suppose someone might
really want -Wremark-error, but that should be a separate flag.

As far as counting goes, I think that all remarks ought to be disabled
by default, so including them in the diagnostic count won't be much of
an issue.

Sean