[cfe-dev] [patch] Add configure option for C include search path

Rafael Espindola espindola at google.com
Wed Nov 11 10:48:11 PST 2009

> Does this make sense?

It does, but it looks a bit orthogonal to my patch. It should still be
possible to build clang as a non-system compiler. For example, it
should be possible to configure it so that

* C headers are looked in /foo/bar and /bar/zed
* The libstdc++ header is looked for at /zed or in a binary relative path
* No other path is searched

This is a normal way of using gcc when it is not the system compiler.
It is also convenient when you want to try an all new toolchain and
not be "infected" by your system headers.

So, the reason I think you proposal is orthogonal is that once it is
implemented we would still have a configure option like

../llvm/configure --with-c-includes=/foo:/bar

The difference would be that this would just define a new "target".
Lets call it "configure". So a clang built in this way would be used
as

clang -c foo.c (searches /foo and /bar)
clang -target configure -c foo.c (the same, target configure is the default)
clang -target darwin9 -c foo.c (searches the darwin9 include directories)

>  - Daniel

Cheers,
--
Rafael Ávila de Espíndola