[cfe-dev] specifying warning groups with TableGen

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Wed Mar 18 08:44:53 PDT 2009

On Mar 18, 2009, at 7:11 AM, Mike Stump wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2009, at 10:42 PM, Ted Kremenek wrote:
>> def error_name : Error<"error string", [ list of groups ]>
>
> One problem with this is that for people that add and maintain
> custom groups in private branches that pick and choose existing
> warnings, this format makes it harder to resolve merges.
>
> If the format allows one to add <error_name addition_groups>, that
> takes care of this problem.

Hi Mike,

That's an excellent point.  While we could have two mechanisms to
specifying group membership (i.e., one within error declarations and
one outside error declarations), it might just be cleaner to have one
mechanism that handles all cases (i.e., the latter).  This point alone
makes me think that Sebastian's original idea of declaring warning
groups separately
  from error definitions (by specifying a list of errors when defining
a group) is a better strategy.

Ted