[cfe-dev] Using clang/LLVM components in conventional apps?

Sebastian Redl sebastian.redl at getdesigned.at
Fri Jun 26 08:39:56 PDT 2009

Dallman, John wrote:
> I was under the impression the one of the points of LLVM was that
> it could target the hardware at run-time: some of the examples of how
> it's used for OpenGL and so on seem to work that way?

It can be used for that. Specifically, there are applications that embed
LLVM components in order to provide such services. However, I'm not
aware of any LLVM tool that generates native executables which contain
an LLVM code generator plus bitcode.
> Presumably here it's just being used as a step along the route from
> source to binary: would clang produce conventional .o files, or
> don't you get ordinary machine code until you link?

That depends on whether you enable link-time code generation.

Sebastian