[cfe-dev] Web page patch for Windows

Eli Friedman eli.friedman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 18:31:11 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 5:50 PM, John
Thompson<john.thompson.jtsoftware at gmail.com> wrote:
> Please find enclosed an attempt at expanding the web pages for Windows
> developers.
>
> At least one thing you might want to edit here is how I labeled the sections
> for non-Windows.  I couldn't think of a better name to name it, but maybe
> you can.  "Unix/Linux/MaxOSX" or "'nix" were some earlier attempts.

+  <p>To return changes to the Clang team, unless you have checkin
+  priviledges, the best way is to send patch files to the
+  cfe-dev mailing list, with an explanation of what the patch is for.

We generally prefer cfe-commits unless the patch is part of some more
general discussion/query.  Also, you misspelled "privileges".

+  <p>Note that the paths embedded in the patch depend on where you run it,
+  so changing directory to the llvm directory is recommended.</p>

I would generally expect patches to be based in the "clang" directory,
but it's not a big deal either way; it's not hard to adjust from
"patch -p0" to "patch -p2".

For the "Getting started", I would suggest calling them "In a
Unix-like environment" and "With Visual Studio".  It's also possible
to build clang on Windows using mingw or cygwin (at least, they should
work if they aren't bitrotted), and your instructions don't apply
there.

-Eli