[cfe-dev] type attributes

Mike Stump mrs at apple.com
Fri Jul 24 15:33:32 PDT 2009

On Jul 24, 2009, at 3:20 PM, Eli Friedman wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Mike Stump<mrs at apple.com> wrote:
>> I'm adding the noreturn type attribute.  We can do this in one of two
>> ways, as a bit, or use the general mechanism used by Decls.  I kinda
>> like the general method used by decls, but wanted to see what others
>> thought?
>
> Either way sounds okay; I think I prefer the general method as well.

Ah, the type uniquing code isn't going to like the general method, and
type attributes are fairly rare, so I think I'll skip it.  I think
I'll defer until a machine port wanted to add type attributes....

> Have you considered putting the noreturn type attribute on
> FunctionType?

Hum...  I'll have to see if I can sneak in a bit there without
modifying the size much.  The biggest issue is that 99% of those type
would never have one of these, so we in general don't want to pay the
cost of them.  gcc runs into memory problems because every decl has
oodles of data, most of which is never used; we'd like to avoid that.

Thanks.