[cfe-dev] LLVM-Clang Windows Setup

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Mon Jul 6 09:08:22 PDT 2009

On Jul 5, 2009, at 9:04 AM, AlisdairM(public) wrote:

> [I’m posting to the Clang dev list in case anyone else want to add
> something]
>
> I should get round to finishing that Windows user guide I was
> writing ;¬)

That would be great!

> First, understand that Clang is a sub-project of LLVM, so to get the
> right build environment first check out LLVM from SVN, then check
> out Clang into the LLVM tools directory.  I’m using RapidSVN for my
> SVN client, although that is proving fiddly when generating patch
> files:
>
> http://rapidsvn.tigris.org/

I typically recommend TortoiseSVN:

	http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

> Finally, some of the cmake tools seem to want Perl and Python to be
> available so I downloaded and set those up too, although I seem to
> have a working system despite not having these tools in the path
> when running cmake, so maybe those are optional?
>
> http://strawberryperl.com/
> http://www.python.org/download/

Clang's regression testing uses Python. Perl is only needed for
building llvm-config, which is generally pointless on Windows.

> For my needs I am purely developing the C++ aspects of Clang, which
> are essentially running syntax checks only on my test files.  I have
> not yet got Clang/LLVM linking and running C programs because I have
> not had the need to yet.

Clang doesn't have support for the Windows ABI, so you won't be able
to execute Clang-built programs on Windows.

> Also, I am not getting automated running of the test suite yet.

That's the Python bit, although I don't know if anyone's tried it :)

	- Doug