[cfe-dev] Success compiling Adium

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Sun Jan 25 17:53:37 PST 2009

On Jan 25, 2009, at 4:18 PM, steve naroff wrote:

>> I did make ENABLE_OPTIMIZED=1 when building llvm, then did:
>> export PATH=/Volumes/Other/llvm/Release/bin/:$PATH
>> export CCC=/Volumes/Other/llvm/tools/clang/tools/ccc/ccc
>> time xcodebuild -parallelizeTargets CC=$CCC LD=$CCC
>> So I believe that should be with a release build of clang. However,
>> it didn't feel as much faster than the debug build I had as I would
>> have expected, so I will double check that.
>>

> It should feel much faster. If I recall, the release build is 5-10x
> faster than the debug build.

There are actually three kinds of builds: Debug, Release, Release-
Asserts (which should be read as Release build without asserts).   CCC
probably grabs the clang binary from your path, so its worth checking
that its grabbing the right binary.  Debug builds go in llvm/Debug,
Release builds in llvm/Release, etc.

BTW, to perform a Release-Asserts build (which is the fastest build
you'll get, and would be considered a production build), do:

make ENABLE_OPTIMIZED=1 DISABLE_ASSERTIONS=1