[cfe-dev] too slow to build clang

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Mon Jan 19 07:44:36 PST 2009

On Jan 19, 2009, at 5:52 AM, Jiandong Lu wrote:

> hi,everyone.
> I logined llvm's bugzilla,got a bug.And I want to fix it.

Great!

> I add only debug statement to output something ,and than build clang
> in my FreeBSD 7.1 in vmware.
> I found it took about tens of minutes.Although my machine is a
> little slow (celeron 2.4 G cpu),
> I think it took too many minutes.Maybe there something is wrong.

Clang and LLVM are relatively large, so it does take some time to
compile them. The biggest issue is often memory: does your VMware
virtual machine have at least 1 GB memory?

Also, it helps to configure LLVM with --enable-targets=<some small
subset of targets>. Otherwise, you're spending a lot of time compiling
and linking back-end targets you probably don't care about (Sparc,
Cell, etc.).

	- Doug