[cfe-dev] Static analysis tool development

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Sat Jan 17 11:06:30 PST 2009

On Jan 17, 2009, at 10:57 AM, Ben Laurie wrote:
> I am totally a fan of modular plugin designs (I wrote the Apache 2
> plugin management system, for example), so very much agreed.
>
> How well does the current architecture support dynamic plugins?
> Perhaps support for that is somewhere I could be instantly useful! :-)

LLVM supports dynamically loadable optimizations, code generators,
etc.  It would not be hard to dlopen("mycoolanalysis.so").

However, I think there are two separate things being discussed here:
1) checks written in C++, and 2) checks written in a higher-level
(e.g. scripting) language.  Right now, we have none of #2, but we
definitely will in the future.  I think most checks will end up being
built off a shared analysis core written in C++, but whose high-level
logic is implemented in a scripting language.  We're just not quite
there yet, and getting the design of the core solid and fully featured
is more important than getting the bindings going (to the current
contributors).

-Chris