[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] win32/llvm.sln, win32/clang.sln

steve naroff snaroff at apple.com
Thu Jan 15 15:59:20 PST 2009

On Jan 15, 2009, at 1:19 AM, Nicolas Capens wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> The Visual Studio solution and project files are quite handy. CMake
> creates
> absolute paths instead of relative paths, making it cumbersome to move
> things around. Also, for newcomers (e.g. students) it's really great
> to be
> able to download the package, open the solution and compile without
> any
> complication.

Understood, however the (unfortunate) reality is the VS solution file
is not being properly maintained. As a result, any newcomer/developer
is faced with updating the VS solution file (or not building at all).

Over the past 6 months, I've had to personally fix many problems with
the solution file. That said, I'm grateful that cmake works and the
cmake.txt files are being updated/maintained. It does require an extra
step, however the work is "constant time" (whereas fixing regressions
without cmake could take an arbitrary amount of time).

Thanks for your response...

snaroff