[cfe-dev] Testing and CMake (was: win32/llvm.sln, win32/clang.sln)

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Thu Jan 15 09:46:34 PST 2009

Douglas Gregor <dgregor at apple.com> writes:

>>> Please, don't remove, I'm using!!!
>>
>> What's preventing you from using CMake?
>>
>> Is there some problem we can solve?
>
> At some point, we'll need to deal with the testing issue in the CMake
> build system. Clang, for example, uses some GNU make magic to run its
> tests, which we'll need to replace with something more platform-
> neutral in CMake.

Testing was (is) the big roadblock for the LLVM CMake system. It is not
practical to duplicate the make-based system we have now, but I think a
good compromise can be achieved by invoking a script instead of
`make'. The build could use this script for doing full testing, so

"make all check"

would keep working, although for partial testing the script would be
mandatory. If this is not already working, is due to lack of time here.

OTOH, I haven't followed in detail all that discussion around a new
testing framework (plus the introduction of C++ unit tests). I need to
relearn was going on and see how that affects my plans.

> That shouldn't prevent anyone who is using the current VS project
> files from switching to CMake, though.

Right. Current VS project files does not support testing at all.

--
Oscar