[cfe-dev] Renaming clang/ccc

Daniel Dunbar daniel at zuster.org
Sat Feb 21 13:58:36 PST 2009

Hi all,

As we get closer to having a functioning replacement for gcc, we need
to decide how we want users to interact with "clang" the compiler.

Traditionally we have had the "clang" binary which is the only
interface to clang's features; going forward, however, the main user
interface to the compiler will be the driver.

Since people tend to identify the compiler with the command they
invoke it as, some people have suggested that we should rename the
driver to clang. Any objections?

Basic proposal is (1) rename ccc to clang, install in
<prefix>/usr/bin, (2) rename what is now clang to something else
(clang-cc?), install in <prefix>/libexec/clang and expect not to be
called directly by end users. The particular name of what is currently
clang doesn't really matter, it is just an implementation detail.

Note: the only proposal here is a renaming, all tests would still use
what is currently the clang binary.

 - Daniel

p.s. The bike-shed-painting potential here is high; lets try and be
productive! :)