[cfe-dev] clang-cc is gone

Daniel Dunbar daniel at zuster.org
Tue Dec 15 10:48:28 PST 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 8:43 AM, John Thompson
<john.thompson.jtsoftware at gmail.com> wrote:
> So to use the old clang-cc options, you use the -cc1 option?  I.e.:
>
> clang-cc -faltivec -syntax-only Parser/ativec.c
>
> becomes:
>
> clang -cc1 -faltivec -syntax-only Parser/ativec.c

Correct.

> If so, you probably want to fix the --help option to show "-cc1", or
> otherwise indicate how it is done.  Otherwise the only clue is the -Xclang
> option, which I couldn't get to work.

-cc1 is not a user feature, I actively don't want it in the help.
-Xclang is similarly only for developers. I will document them more in
the clang developer documentation at some point. -Xclang is hard to
use if you don't understand the driver, because the driver doesn't
"see" it, and it doesn't effect the driver actions.

> clang -cc1 --help
>
> to get the old options.
>
> Are we moving to make the driver recognize the clang-cc options, or at least
> those for which it makes sense?

Not actively. I am always hesitant to expose things from the driver
proper as it is tantamount to publicly supporting the feature which
raises the quality bar. If you have specific features you think should
be exposed, we should treat them on a case by case basis.

> The tests still seem to work, even though I removed clang-cc.exe.  Is the
> test driver translating the clang-cc run lines?

Yes, it has in fact always done this (to make the path absolute and
honor CLANGCC the environment variable). I will be rewriting the tests
to make this more obvious.

> The user guide could use some work to be more complete and formatted more
> clearly with respect to the options.  If it's on no one's plate, I'd be
> happy to help with that, once things are settled.

That would be awesome.

 - Daniel