[cfe-dev] Newbie question : instrumenting code

Rahul Garg rahulgarg44 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 09:28:13 PST 2009

Hi.

I am new to Clang and somewhat new to LLVM. I am doing a project where I
need to instrument C code to add some profiling information such as timers
and iteration counts of loops to some of the functions and then it will be
compiled using clang+llvm. The transformation need not be source to source.
All I am looking for is the ability to add instrumentation at some point
during the compilation process. Is it reasonable to attempt to modify Clang
so that it adds timers and logging calls at the places I need? Or should I
be looking at some other part of the LLVM stack?

thanks,
rahul