[cfe-dev] My first patch to clang

Nicola Gigante nicola.gigante at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 08:37:05 PST 2009

Hello,

as promised I've started to look at how clang works under the hood.

My first "kid job" was to implement a simple diagnostic improvement that suggests to use -> instead of . if the base expression is a pointer. You find the patch attached.

In the last mail, Douglas told me to send trivial patches to cfe-commits but I've prefered to post it here because it's the first one and I'm unsure about a couple of things.

1) Have I chosen the right locations for the caret, the range and the substitution? The original error used to put the caret _after_ the dot, but I put the caret _at_ the dot, because I think it's more reasonable.

2) Is it ok to add a new diagnostic string in this case? Are the string and the enum name appropriate?

3) Any other hint?

Thanks,

Nicola