[cfe-dev] Problem in locations

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Thu Aug 13 11:11:35 PDT 2009

>> Rather you're right that it "could" ignore the leading escape, but I
>> don't see any reason that clients should depend on this.
>
> The diagnostic is far more readable

Yes, it is a QoI issue in the diagnostics subsystem.  This doesn't
actually happen commonly in practice though, which is why we haven't
bother to do anything about it.

> if we point to the first non
> ignorable character instead of the first ignorable character and it
> seems to me that to have an indefinite number of ignorable embedded

Sure, of course, this is the "beauty" of C.

> Note also that current implementation of getSpellingLineNumber and
> getSpellingColumnNumber are confused by this thing and they return the
> position less useful instead of the more useful one.

Can you be more specific about what you mean?

My basic point is that clients have to be aware of phase 1 translation
issues anyway, why is the first character of a token any more special
than other characters?

-Chris