[cfe-dev] Trying to understand some test "... 2>&1 >/dev/null | ..."

Baptiste Lepilleur baptiste.lepilleur at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 14:31:26 PDT 2009

There is a bunch of failures caused by this kind of tests on windows, such
as Preprocessor\include-directive1.c. Here an example of a test command:
// RUN: clang-cc -E %s -fno-caret-diagnostics 2>&1 >/dev/null | grep 'file
successfully included' | count 3

>From what I understand, first stderr is redirected to stdout and then stdout
to /dev/null, meaning if I understand thing well that both stderr and stdout
goes into /dev/null and are not passed to the next process in the pipe. So
what it supposes to go in the following pipe? Obviously there is something I
don't know...