[cfe-dev] Beginnings of C++ access control

Tim Northover T.P.Northover at sms.ed.ac.uk
Wed Apr 22 13:04:06 PDT 2009

I've now got the access control code to the point where I think it implements
a reasonably self-contained section of the standard, and I'm wondering what I
should do next.

At the moment the code is almost certainly too stringent -- it will disallow
valid C++ programs where that wouldn't happen before. However getting it to
the stage where the only change is to disallow invalid programs would lead to
a much larger patch (the main issue would be dealing with friends everywhere
needed) which I understand is discouraged.

The current patch is at http://www.maths.ed.ac.uk/~s0677366/access_first.diff
again.

So essentially I'm willing to do whatever people feel is best:
+ Work on problems with what I've got now.
+ Extend it to do what it does more correctly before submitting.
+ Extend it to do more things at the correctness it does now before
  submitting.
+ All of the above.

Tim.