[cfe-dev] Decls are not synonyms for the symbols they represent

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Tue Sep 16 21:30:09 PDT 2008

On Sep 16, 2008, at 9:05 PM, Argiris Kirtzidis wrote:

> Ted Kremenek wrote:
>>
>> My understanding was that with the combination of TypeSpecifiers
>> and DeclGroups, TranslationUnit would no longer have any direct
>> reference to a RecordDecl (and thus never own it).  Isn't this true?
>>

> Ah, never mind, I was under the impression that it was going to be
> something like this:
>
> int x; -> DeclGroup
> struct y; -> RecordDecl
>
> but it will actually be like this ?:
>
> int x; -> DeclGroup
> struct y; -> DeclGroup
>
> is this correct?

I think so.  In this case, the common-case optimization would be to
have a DeclGroup just refer to a single Decl, but the idea is at the
top-level (the translation unit) you have a set of DeclGroups, each
which have a collection of Decls.  This way clients are always forced
to think about either groups of decls or individual decls in the
proper contexts.