[cfe-dev] proper name for the "Clang Static Analyzer"

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Sun Oct 26 10:28:28 PDT 2008

On Oct 26, 2008, at 2:57 AM, Dan Villiom Podlaski Christiansen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You Apple guys appear to be using the name "checker" to refer to Clang
> and the static analyser. It seems a good name for a static analyser
> that checks code :) You might want to consider reusing it...

The term "checker" is something I adopted when I was a graduate
student in Dawson Engler's group.  In the early days the group worked
on the Metacompilation project, which was more widely known as the
"Stanford Checker".  We used the term "checker" itself to talk about
specific checks we wrote; e.g. a malloc/free checker, a buffer overrun
checker, etc.  The term is also occasionally used in this way by
researchers into similar tools.