[cfe-dev] proper name for the "Clang Static Analyzer"

Eric Christopher echristo at apple.com
Fri Oct 24 20:33:32 PDT 2008

On Oct 24, 2008, at 7:53 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2008, at 7:50 PM, Ted Kremenek wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Several people have been telling me lately that the "Clang Static
>> Analyzer" (http://clang.llvm.org/StaticAnalysis.html) needs a proper
>> name.  I think this would be useful to distinguish the static
>> analyzer
>> from Clang itself.  To some people the name "Clang" represents the
>> static analyzer, and I don't want that to interfere with the
>> visibility of the Clang project itself.  I admit that I'm not very
>> good at all in coming up with such names; any suggestions are
>> welcome!
>
> Smoosh!

How about onomatopoeia? :) You could tell people to spell it just like
it sounds!

In all (ok, slightly more) seriousness I like the action/comic book
action naming scheme. How about something like "crunch", "crush", or
some action using C? (I'll suggest we avoid "crash") Then you could at
least make the statement "Clang something or other, we just need the
rest of the letters explained".

I do like smoosh though :)

-eric