[cfe-dev] Performance degradation

Daniel Dunbar daniel at zuster.org
Thu Nov 20 09:28:06 PST 2008

Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that yet. In fact I do have a
reference type run in a way because I also collect data on the stable
gcc version, and in a fully automated system I would have a few more
reference runs intended to check the current base performance of the
system (i.e., general performance tests not tests with a reference
version). However I do not intend to add a reference run in the same
vein as they are doing with chromium. This inflates the testing times
significantly and has other problems with maintenance.

Conceptually I think a better approach is to (a) try hard to gather
consistent data and (b) be able to estimate the reliability of the
data (this is not the same as having a reference run). In the end I
*want* consistent data; it is better to spend the extra testing time
getting accurate samples or getting more samples so that you end up
with consistent data (IMHO, of course).

The Web 2.0 style viewing infrastructure, on the other hand, is
something I would love to steal. :)

 - Daniel