[cfe-dev] Continuing Adventures with Objective-C

Eli Friedman eli.friedman at gmail.com
Tue May 13 17:22:49 PDT 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Eli Friedman <eli.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Please include testcases with all of the patches; it makes things
> easier to review, and they're necessary to commit fixes.  Please put
> fixes that don't have any dependencies into separate emails; it makes
> them easier to track.

Hmm, I guess I really ought the go into more detail on this bit.
First off, I'm sure this work will be very useful for people using
ObjC, so keep up the good work.  If the review comments seem a bit
harsh, it's just the natural writing style for reviews, and if you
disagree with a comment, feel free to say so.

The key to making things move as quickly as possible is to make small,
independent patches which can be committed separately without breaking
the build.  For example, take const_str.diff.  The Sema changes are
independent of the other changes.  So send one email, with one patch,
including a testcase, which can be committed separately from the
others.  That should be reviewed and committed quickly.  Then, send
one email, with one patch, which allows the codegen of ObjC string
literals.  This is more work than submitting multiple fixes together,
but once things start moving, you'll find that everything runs a lot
smoother.

If you haven't read http://llvm.org/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html, you
might also find that useful.

-Eli