[cfe-dev] Clang GSoC applications

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Thu Mar 27 10:42:40 PDT 2008

On Mar 27, 2008, at 10:14 AM, Chris Lattner wrote:

> On Mar 26, 2008, at 5:14 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> This is a friendly reminder for GSoC applicants that are interested
>> in LLVM/clang.  The deadline for applications is March 31: don't
>> forget.  :)
>>
>> For clang, there are a number of improvements that would be
>> interesting.  We have one application already that will be pushing C+
>> + class parsing forward (from Algiris).  It would be great to see
>> various projects that apply clang technology to new areas.  Some
>> random ideas:
>
> Oh yeah, we're also definitely interested in projects that use static
> analysis techniques to find bugs as well. :)

The scope of this could widely vary, from implementing a bunch of
"simple" API checks to more exotic things.  There is a fair amount of
infrastructure in place for people to experiment with finding
different kinds of bugs, and the framework is still young so it's
fundamental design can still be heavily influenced by anyone who wants
to work on it.

Some possible ideas:

- Finding simple memory leaks and use-after-free errors
- Checks for proper use of the standard C library and other popular C
APIs
- A bunch of different security bugs (integer overflows, buffer
overruns, tainted data)
- Domain specific checkers: kernel bugs, proper use of OpenGL APIs, etc.
- Work on the core framework: better symbolic analysis, inter-
procedural analysis, etc.