[cfe-dev] New diff

David Chisnall csdavec at swansea.ac.uk
Mon Jun 30 06:43:19 PDT 2008

On 29 Jun 2008, at 00:16, Chris Lattner wrote:

> <moving this to cfe-dev, which should have been cc'd the whole time>
>
> On Jun 28, 2008, at 7:41 AM, David Chisnall wrote:

>>> This patch doesn't apply.
>>>

>> Here's a new version.  It pulls out most of the cases where the
>> value from an llvm::Constant is taken in CodeGen and passes in the
>> initialisers instead.
>
> Now you're copying strings around all over the place for no reason.
> Converting things to a vector<std::string> does a bunch of string
> copies.  Why do we want this?

Ideally I wouldn't.  I'd want it to just take references, but since
Selector returns a string, rather than a pointer to a string, a copy
is required, and I made the others strings for consistency.  Selector
objects are not an adequate abstraction here because they do not
contain type information, which we can extract from  the AST, and they
are not really the right thing to pass in semantically since it is the
method name, not the selector, that we want (the two are often used
interchangeably, but are not the same).

>> I've also changed it so that the Selector passed to the the methods
>> for generating message sends is a selector, rather than the name of
>> a selector.  This should be previously obtained by GetSelector.
>> There are now two versions of this, one taking a pair of char*s and
>> one taking a pair of llvm::Value*s as arguments.
>
> I don't understand where you're going with this.  You've taken all
> the nice simple APIs that take Selectors and pass Value*'s around.
> You are inverting the logic of the code generator to avoid passing
> in clang data structures.

This part of the change is definitely cleaner.  The runtime interface
now more closely mirrors how message dispatch works (as a two stage
process, getting the selector and sending the message).  It also
allows as much type information to be provided to the runtime as is
available.  Since clang knows the types of the arguments being passed,
it can pass this when looking up the selector (it doesn't yet),
without changing the message send method.  This will aid debugging
Objective-C code in the future, since a runtime exception can be
thrown if a method is called with arguments of the wrong type: this is
not always possible to detect at compile time, and currently causes a
corrupt stack and is a colossal pain to trace.

> Further, I don't see why the ObjC codegen stuff shouldn't pull in
> CodeGenModule.  It seems that you're again inverting control flow
> here to eliminate a very reasonable dependency.  Because of this,
> you've reinvented things (like CGObjCGNU::MakeConstantString), and
> introduced problems (e.g. MakeConstantString doesn't unique the
> strings like CGM's does).

I would be more than happy to refactor this to reuse existing code if
it can be done in a way that didn't introduce direct dependencies on
clang.  I would propose creating a delegate object that can be passed
in, which exposes any methods in CGM that are needed and can be
replaced by a different delegate in other implementations, if this
would be acceptable.

>> There are now two versions of this, one taking a pair of char*s and
>> one taking a pair of llvm::Value*s as arguments.  The first returns
>> a statically-bound selector, the latter returns a dynamically-bound
>> selector.  This seems cleaner and also makes it easier to support
>> languages where message dispatch can be performed with an extra
>> layer of indirection (I'm not doing this at the moment but I know
>> people who want to use this code for JavaScript and Io
>> implementations and it will help them).  Currently everything in
>> clang uses untyped selectors, but I plan on using typed selectors
>> when available in the future (i.e. generate a selector type string
>> from the types passed to the selector).  This will allow the Étoilé
>> runtime (which uses selector types for dispatch, where available)
>> to either throw an exception or perform auto [un]boxing at message-
>> send time, rather than just corrupt the stack (as the GNU and NeXT/
>> Apple runtimes do).
>

> I understand (now) that you are trying to reuse the clang codegen in
> the context of your smalltalk implementation.

And in other compilers.  The Nu team recently approached me to discuss
using the code for their object model (currently they target the Apple
runtime directly), and others are planning on using it for JavaScript
and Io ports.

I have found bugs in the clang code directly as a result of using it
in other work, and I consider reuse to be an important way of testing
the code.  I would rather not have to maintain a portable and a clang
version of this code, since it would mean that bug fixes would take
much longer to make their way into clang.

> While this is an interesting goal, this is *not* an acceptable
> reason to make the clang ObjC codegen code inefficient and weird.

Weird is highly subjective - I consider that the code now corresponds
closely to the object model semantics, and so don't find it weird.
Inefficient is probably true, and I would welcome any constructive
suggestions for optimisation.

> I'm somewhat ok with you adding codepaths that are not used by clang
> (and are thus dead) as long as they are not huge, but making
> codepaths clang *does* use inefficient and inelegant is not
> acceptable.

I have not written anything in this file which is not intended for use
in compiling Objective-C.  Some parts are not yet connected to
implementations, however anything intended for other languages I have
kept in separate files and not submitted.  The only code paths that
are dead are ones where I have not yet written the calling code.

>   return Builder.CreateCall(imp, Args.begin(), Args.end());
> }
> -
> +#include "llvm/ValueSymbolTable.h"
> /// Generates a MethodList.  Used in construction of a objc_class and
>
> Please don't include things in the middle of .cpp files.

Ooops, this was left in from debugging - it can be removed.

David