[cfe-dev] C++ status report web page

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Wed Jul 2 08:38:18 PDT 2008

On Jul 2, 2008, at 4:45 AM, Argiris Kirtzidis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After a suggestion by Chris, I've added a page to track C++ support in
> Clang:
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/cfe-commits/Week-of-Mon-20080630/006333.html
>
> Please feel free to add something I missed, change wording and/or
> change
> the whole design of the page.
>
> Later I'll link to this page by the front page ("Current Status") and
> get_involved.html ("Open Projects"/"Continue work on C++ support").

Hi Argiris,

I think this is a good start for a page like this.  Besides
incorporating some of the feedback from the other responders, you
might want to consider not using the terms "Sema", "CodeGen", "Parse",
etc.  These are libraries used to implement features, and are not the
features themselves.  Using these terms makes the page only useful to
people who understand Clang's internals (i.e., Clang developers), and
this page really should be targeted to a much broader audience (i.e.,
anybody who cares about C++ support in Clang).

I would use the following terms instead:

Parse  -> "parsing"
Sema -> "type checking"
CodeGen -> "code generation (compilation)"

For those who know the internals of Clang, they will be able to do the
reverse mapping just fine.

Ted