[cfe-dev] PCRE compiles fines and passes the test suite :)

Nuno Lopes nunoplopes at sapo.pt
Thu Jan 31 07:37:06 PST 2008

>> ---
>> compiler   | compile+link time | test suite run time | binary size
>> gcc 4.1    |      17s          |       1.9s          |    43KB
>> clang+llvm |    1m 13s         |       1.4s          |    188KB
>> ---
>>
>> Although llvm is much slower at compiling (the linking part seems to  be
>> really slow due to the -O2 optimizations), the binary produced is much
>> faster :)
>>

> This doesn't makes sense to me. Are you using an optimized "release"
> version of clang?

no, it was a debug build. With a release build of llvm, it takes only 10
seconds to build pcre! It's even faster than gcc 4.1 :)
Of course this could still be better because of the overhead of the ccc
script.

>> P.S.2.: why isn't LLVM deployed to replace gcc? isn't it capable to  act
>> as a
>> drop-in replacement for gcc with the gcc front-end (for now)?

Noone tackle this question.. My question is for real: can llvm already be
used as a drop-in replacement of gcc or not? e.g. can I already rebuild my
gentoo system (including the kernel) with llvm? :)

Nuno

P.S.: the clang build is currently broken because of a commit to LLVM's
ADT/StringMap.h.