[cfe-dev] PCRE compiles fines and passes the test suite :)

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Wed Jan 30 13:01:00 PST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008, at 9:39 AM, Steve Naroff wrote:
> On Jan 30, 2008, at 8:57 AM, Nuno Lopes wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just a quick note to tell you that PCRE 7.6 (latest version)
>> compiles fine
>> with clang and the compiled binary passes the test suite as well.
>>
> Great news!

That is excellent!

>> ---
>> compiler   | compile+link time | test suite run time | binary size
>> gcc 4.1    |      17s          |       1.9s          |    43KB
>> clang+llvm |    1m 13s         |       1.4s          |    188KB
>> ---
>>
>> Although llvm is much slower at compiling (the linking part seems to
>> be
>> really slow due to the -O2 optimizations), the binary produced is
>> much
>> faster :)
>>

> This doesn't makes sense to me. Are you using an optimized "release"
> version of clang?
>
> If so, can you compile/measure with -fsyntax-only?

Also, does 'ccc' contribute substantially to this?  How much time does
it take to run if you hack 'ccc' to just run a noop command like "echo
| llvm-as | ..." instead of running clang?

I expect that writing + parsing the bytecode emitted by clang, forking
exec'ing processes, etc takes a lot of the time.

As Steve says, a debug build is also far slower than an optimized one
(3-10x).

>> Congratulations to everybody ;)
>>

> Ditto. Chris and I couldn't be happier with the way this community has
> pulled together.

You guys are awesome!

-Chris