[cfe-dev] Best way to get SourceLocation of a Declarator?

Dan Villiom Podlaski Christiansen danchr at daimi.au.dk
Fri Aug 29 12:24:37 PDT 2008

On 29 Aug 2008, at 20:00, Nico Weber wrote:

>>> No, I'm fiddling with ActOnDeclarator just for the heck of it, to
>>> understand how clang's parts interact ( http://amnoid.de/tmp/clangtut/tut.html
>>> :-P -- obviously far from done).
>>
>> Nico, this looks really nice!  When it gets closer to being done,
>> are you interested in hosting it on clang.llvm.org?  I think it
>> could be useful to a whole lot of people,
>
> Sure, that'd be great. However, it might take a few more days (weeks?)
> until it's done.

I read some of it, and it appears very good indeed. I noticed a few
things, and I figure I might as well provide a bit of feedback :)

> (for example, variables that have the old name but are in a
> different namespace, and so on)

Wouldn't it be better to refer to scope rather than namespaces? Unlike
namespaces, they aren't specific to C++, and neither are handled
terribly gracefully by grep/sed/whatever anyway…

(After trying Eclipse with its integrated Java compiler, I can't wait
for the day where editors do the same with clang!)

> For performance reasons, clang does not have a separate preprocessor
> program, but does preprocessing while lexing.

It's my impression from the documentation[1] that this is much more
than an optimisation. It seems to be what allows clang to track
everything back to the original source rather than the pre-processed
intermediate. “Great feature” comes to mind ;)

[1] <http://clang.llvm.org/comparison.html>

--

Dan Villiom Podlaski Christiansen, stud. scient.,
danchr at daimi.au.dk