[cfe-dev] Cleaning up the representation of Decls in the AST

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Sat Aug 23 19:06:49 PDT 2008

On Aug 22, 2008, at 5:23 PM, Ted Kremenek wrote:

>> There have been multiple requests for a way to get the location of
>> the
>> type of a variable declaration; do you have any ideas for how to
>> implement that?  It seems like DeclGroups will make that easier, but
>> it still seems tricky.
>
> It is tricky, and I'm not certain if it is even a well-formed
> question.  Consider:
>
> int (*x)(int y);
>
> Where is the location of the type?  Is it the first int?

I think that this (tracking loc info for types) is easy to solve, just
a significant amount of work :).  I don't think this has anything to
do with DeclGroup though.

The reason we don't keep loc info for types around today is that types
are uniqued.  Conceptually, if types were not uniqued, 'x's type in
Ted's example would just be a PointerTypeWithLocInfo with a pointee of
FunctionTypeWithLocInfo, with arg and return type of
BuiltinTypeWithLocInfo, etc.  You could even throw in a
GroupingParenTypeInfo object if desired.

This would make the type system capture the full loc info for the
declaration and I think it would be extensible to the other type-
related loc and syntactic structure info that various clients needed.
The big problem with this approach is that it would make type
comparisons very slow, because you'd have to recursively compare types
by their structural type.

Fortunately, there is an answer here and it's an easy one :).  The
basic approach I would recommend is to build off the canonical types
system.  You could define *today* all these classes, and the canonical/
desugared version of the type would just be the normal type without
location info.  This is exactly how we represent "typeof(int)" in the
type system separately from "int" even though both have the same
semantic meaning.

This can also be used for a number of other things that we don't do
today.  For example, in ObjC, you can write a protocol qualified type
with the protocols in any order, e.g. NSString<a,b,c> is the same as
NSString<c,a,b>.  Today, we just always discard the original ordering
and sort them alphabetically.  This means that if we emit a diagnostic
with one of these types that we print them out in the wrong order
(alphabetic instead of the order the user wrote them in).  If we
really cared, we could have a 'noncanonical' version of this that
preserves the original ordering, and have the canonical version of the
type store the qualifiers in sorted order.

I anticipate that the same approach will be used in the future to
distinguish between "std::basic_string<char>" and
"basic_string<char>" (when using namespace std) and
"basic_string<char, type_traits<char> >" when the user explicitly
spells out the default parameter, etc.

Tracking this information would be expensive (which is just the nature
of the problem since types are so 'intricate'), but could be a
conditional in SemaType.  Clients that wanted it could parse with that
condition enabled and get full loc info for their types.

-Chris