[cfe-dev] Analyzing DragonFly BSD

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Thu Aug 21 12:59:18 PDT 2008

On Aug 21, 2008, at 11:31 AM, Sascha Wildner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm doing daily runs of the analyzer on the DragonFly BSD source code.
> Find the results at http://yoyodyne.ath.cx/ccc-analyze/ if you're
> interested.
>
> A couple of questions:
>
> * There are a few crashes reported in the buildworld "Analyzer
> Failures"
> section. Should I file individual bug reports for those?

Hi Sascha,

Feel free to file one bugzilla report with an attached tar.bz2 of your
crashes directory.

> * Could the "Analyzer Failures" be made sortable by arbitrary column
> as
> well (like "Reports")?

Sure thing.  I'll try and include that fix in the next checker release.

> * Interestingly, the "null dereference" count went down from 308 in
> http://yoyodyne.ath.cx/ccc-analyze/buildkernel/2008-08-10-1/ to 119 in
> http://yoyodyne.ath.cx/ccc-analyze/buildkernel/2008-08-21-2/ (we
> fixed a
> couple but not that many). Some of them were valid bugs, according to
> one guy from our team.

I've been trying to gradually add more path-sensitivity to the
analyzer to suppress false positives.  If you find that some bugs are
disappearing, if you feel up to it, *please* submit preprocessed
sources of the files that use to get flagged with errors and no longer
are. (you can file these as bugzilla reports).  Also please include
the checker-# (both for when the bugs were originally found and when
they disappeared).  In general it's hard for us to detect false
negatives; the only way to guard against this is to gradually build up
a bigger regression test suite from bug reports like these.

Ted