[cfe-dev] Using Clang for a C Refactoring Tool

pingu219 at gmail.com pingu219 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 02:46:49 PDT 2008

I'm currently an student doing a project which involves creating a
program capable of representing a C project (files, functions...etc)
visually and which will allow the user to perform simple higher as
well as lower-level refactorings via the graphical interface itself. I
originally intended to use the GCC translation framework available
with ANTLR for the job of parsing the C files and source code in but
someone else recommended that I perhaps consider Clang instead.

I was wondering if I could get some feedback as to whether Clang would
be well suited for a project of this nature. Ideally the parser would
be able to handle preprocessing, be able to read in different C files
as a single project and perform code transformations with ease. It
would also be much appreciated if you could perhaps help point me to
other standalone projects or examples which maybe use Clang in this
manner. Thanks alot in advance.