[cfe-dev] plans about kernel compilation?

Giangiacomo Mariotti giangiacomo_mariotti at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 28 00:18:26 PDT 2007

> I'm just a newbie lurker here, but I expect that, in time, you should
> be able to compile any kernel that can be compiled with GCC because
> one of the goals of the clang project is GCC compatibility.

Ok,maybe I should have been more explicit about what I meant.
Look here for example:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2007-10/msg00266.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2007-10/msg00275.html

There you can find a discusson about a problem for threaded programs caused by  a recently made default optimization of gcc. This problem has been discussed on the lkml, because it affects the kernel too. This is a problem more centered on the optimization phase,but if the front-end doesn't care about certain compilation scenarios,maybe the rest of the compiler doesn't care too.So maybe my question hould have been : "Is cfe interested in supporting kernels compilation"?