[cfe-dev] Inconsistent types used to represent bitwidth

Hartmut Kaiser hartmut.kaiser at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 10:56:36 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to remove some of the warnings spit out on me by the
VC++ compiler (mostly warnings about possible loss of precision) and
recognized, that the bitwith (size of a type in bits) is represented using
different types all over the place: sometimes unsigned, sometimes uint32_t
and sometimes it's even uint64_t. I really would like to change that to a
more consistent scheme, but need some advice which type to choose. Since I
think we can't expect to get anything terribly large as the bitwidth of a
type I'ld say let's go for uint32_t.

Any comments?
Regards Hartmut