[cfe-dev] Colorized compiler errors

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Sat Dec 22 15:33:57 PST 2007

I very much like the idea of colorized warnings myself.  One thing I
have hated about some command-line tools that allow colorized whatever
is that they don't provide enough flexibility about changing the
employed color scheme.  For example, the colors to use on a white-on-
black scheme are different than what would look good on a black-on-
white scheme, etc.  One possible solution is to allow users to specify
colors via an environment variable.

Another detail that would be nice to automatically handle is when the
user redirects compiler output to a file.  In such cases, users rarely
want to see the ANSI escape sequences (or whatever) including the
logged output.