[cfe-dev] standard headers questions

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Mon Dec 17 17:06:48 PST 2007

On Dec 13, 2007, at 7:04 PM, Sean Middleditch wrote:
>> Where should this go in the clang tree?  I don't think putting it in
>> clang/include/... makes sense, how about a top level stdincludes
>> directory or something?
>
> I was wondering about that.  How about std/c/ ?  Later on one could
> add
> std/objc/, std/cxx/, etc as needed.

Why not put them all together in one place?  There are not a huge
number of these total (maybe a dozen certainly less than two) so I
don't think it's that big of a deal.

> I was also wondering where these headers should be installed.  GCC
> puts
> them in its own private target-specific path, but we're not doing the
> target-specific header stuff.  Would $(prefix)/include/llvm/std/c/ be
> acceptable, or what?

I don't really have any idea what clang's disk footprint should be
when installed.  I haven't thought that far ahead :)

However, wherever they go, it would be nice to be able to find them
relative to the clang executable or something.  On a related note,
Anton K (over on llvmdev) is working on rewriting the llvmc compiler
driver, to make it more sane.  Once that is farther along, it should
be easier to understand how we hook this together.

-Chris