[cfe-dev] methods to access "base" and "index" in ArraySubscriptExpr

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Fri Aug 17 09:58:11 PDT 2007

Recently I added a comment to the class definition for
ArraySubscriptExpr (in Sema/Expr.h) noting that the true "base" of the
array may actually be returned by "getIdx()" if the array happened to
be written in the source (for example) as "4[A]" instead of "A[4]."  I
think this is confusing, and may cause glitches down the line for
semantic analysis tools built on the frontend.

I propose renaming the current getBase and getIdx methods to "getLHS"
and "getRHS" respectively, as the current interpretation of these
functions has more do with source code syntax (their position in the
source code) rather than semantics.  I then propose adding new getBase
and getIdx functions that look something like this:

Expr *getBase() { return (Base->getType()->isPointerType()) ? Base :
Idx; }
Expr *getIdx() { return (!Idx->getType()->IsPointerType()) ? Idx :
Base; }

Naturally, along with these changes I suggest changing the member
variables "Base" and "Idx" to "LHS" and "RHS" respectively.

Comments?  One disadvantage that I see of this change is that using
getBase() and getIdx() in tandem may require some extra unnecessary
checking (as the same check is performed in both functions).  For such
cases, we could consider adding an extra method that returns both the
Base and the Idx expressions in a std::pair (would there be an
efficiency issue here?).