r289712 - Update MSVC compat docs about debug info
Nico Weber via cfe-commits
cfe-commits at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 14 13:34:19 PST 2016
Date: Wed Dec 14 15:34:19 2016
New Revision: 289712
Update MSVC compat docs about debug info
--- cfe/trunk/docs/MSVCCompatibility.rst (original)
+++ cfe/trunk/docs/MSVCCompatibility.rst Wed Dec 14 15:34:19 2016
@@ -72,14 +72,11 @@ The status of major ABI-impacting C++ fe
.. _/vm: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/yad46a6z.aspx
.. _pointer to a member of a virtual base class: http://llvm.org/PR15713
-* Debug info: :partial:`Minimal`. Clang emits both CodeView line tables
- (similar to what MSVC emits when given the ``/Z7`` flag) and DWARF debug
- information into the object file.
- Microsoft's link.exe will transform the CodeView line tables into a PDB,
- enabling stack traces in all modern Windows debuggers. Clang does not emit
- any CodeView-compatible type info or description of variable layout.
- Binaries linked with either binutils' ld or LLVM's lld should be usable with
- GDB however sophisticated C++ expressions are likely to fail.
+* Debug info: :good:`Mostly complete`. Clang emits relatively complete CodeView
+ debug information if ``/Z7`` or ``/Zi`` is passed. Microsoft's link.exe will
+ transform the CodeView debug information into a PDB that works in Windows
+ debuggers and other tools that consume PDB files like ETW. Work to teach lld
+ about CodeView and PDBs is ongoing.
* RTTI: :good:`Complete`. Generation of RTTI data structures has been
finished, along with support for the ``/GR`` flag.
More information about the cfe-commits