[PATCH] D27769: Update MSVC compat docs about debug info.
Nico Weber via Phabricator via cfe-commits
cfe-commits at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 14 12:32:16 PST 2016
thakis created this revision.
thakis added a reviewer: rnk.
thakis added a subscriber: cfe-commits.
@@ -72,14 +72,14 @@
.. _/vm: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/yad46a6z.aspx
.. _pointer to a member of a virtual base class: http://llvm.org/PR15713
-* Debug info: :partial:`Minimal`. Clang emits both CodeView line tables
- (similar to what MSVC emits when given the ``/Z7`` flag) and DWARF debug
- information into the object file.
- Microsoft's link.exe will transform the CodeView line tables into a PDB,
- enabling stack traces in all modern Windows debuggers. Clang does not emit
- any CodeView-compatible type info or description of variable layout.
- Binaries linked with either binutils' ld or LLVM's lld should be usable with
- GDB however sophisticated C++ expressions are likely to fail.
+* Debug info: :good:`Mostly complete`. Clang emits relatively complete CodeView
+ debug information if ``/Z7`` or ``/Zi`` is passed. In gcc driver mode, this
+ can be activated with ``-gcodeview``. Microsoft's link.exe will
+ transform the CodeView debug information into a PDB that works in modern
+ Windows debuggers and tools like ETW.
+ There is no way to request DWARF debug info in clang-cl mode, so linking
+ with either binutils' ld or LLVM's lld won't produce debug info. Work to
+ teach lld about CodeView and PDBs is onging.
* RTTI: :good:`Complete`. Generation of RTTI data structures has been
finished, along with support for the ``/GR`` flag.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 1558 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the cfe-commits